My torrid love affair with chia.

Mon, Jan 9, 2012

Food Glorious Food

(ahhh nutritional powerhouse. we HEART ye.)

We’ve loved on the chia seed for ages at Casa MizFit.

For years.

It’s a love affair  which began back when Id never HEARD the word piriformis & the Tornado possessed a first half to her blog-moniker (Toddler).

I was smitten.

I proselytized.

I yammered to anyone who would listen & *at*many who did not:

Lest you get any sort of impressed here’s pretty much how we consumed the seed:

Sure, I’d usually use a spoon and not my finger or that’s what Ill pretend on a public forum.

Yes, I’d also often sprinkle chia on salads, oatmeal & dump liberally in my shakes, but that was about the extent of it.

Recently, however, we’ve needed more fiber in our lives (you may thank me in the comments for not delving into specifics).

No longer was a finger-full a few times a day enough.  I needed a chia-conveying system which would get both of the other members of the household to consume a larger quantity.

First we tried ChiaJelly (we loved. we loved.):

Next we added it to our protein pancakes *right* before they finished ‘caking:

This was a HUGE hit in our house.  Both Ren Man & the Tornado gave it the thumbs up!

Me? Im still the odd misfit out around here (does that even make sense?).

I like to add water to mine, let it grow into GOO, & eat with a few berries on top.

(my snack mid-goo process)

Or, more frequently, cram a few spoonfuls into my CHIAhole immediately upon waking.

AND YOU?

Have you discovered the healthy fat’asticness which is the chia seed? Or do you still fear the goo?

How do you eat your chia? (blogged about it? link yourself in the comments!)

Do you spend endless hours flossing as a result of your chia-habit? Or is it only my teeth which tenaciously trap the seeds?

Tags: , , , ,

67 Responses to “My torrid love affair with chia.”

1. AlexandraFunFit says:

I’m still searching for recipes I like, as I can’t stand the feeling of seeds on my tongue or teeth. I’ve found ways to bake with it that are fun: http://funandfit.org/2011/12/c-c-c-cooking-with-ch-ch-ch-chia-seeds/.
    Your family seems to be one very happy, loving family.

2. Runner Girl says:

I loooove chia!!

3. John says:

Great and interesting port!! I all use chia seeds in some of my smoothies.

4. Irene says:

Oh goodness that chia jelly video is cute, Mizz.
    I’ll try that too :)

5. Tia says:

Great idea to add into protein pancakes!

6. Shawn says:

I can’t believe you will eat them STRAIGHT?
    And you said you were softcore? LOL

7. Healthy Mama says:

I bought the chia after seeing you talk about it over on Facebook.
    I’ll be back after we try the jelly.

Cute video.

8. Jill says:

I use Chia in my oatmeal!!!

9. Izzy says:

I really like my ground flax seed.
    Should I use this instead of that for any health reasons?
    I can’t see switching.

10. Cammy@TippyToeDiet says:

When I remember to add it, I’m still in the toss-and-stir phase. It may be good for lots of things, but memory-aide is not one of them.

11. Tom says:

I started with the chia after Born to Run.
    I don’t know if it helps, but I am still using it.

12. Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans says:

I usually throw chia seeds into my yogurt but I do want to start using them more often and in different ways. Thanks for the ideas :)

13. MizFit says:

Thats when I found them too Tom!

14. AffectionforFitness says:

Hi Miz! I’ve never tried chia! Can you believe that?!!! Well, it sounds fun and I love to get more antioxidants. So it will end up on this week’s grocery list.

:-) Marion

15. Hannah says:

OK chia is on my list of things to try now, too.

I love the jelly vlog and could never ever eat anything that looks like that just from my finger or spoon.

You’re crazy LOL

16. Janice - The Fitness Cheerleader says:

I has never even heard of CHIA (other than chia pets) before your post. Where do you buy it? Grocery store? Which section?

17. Rita says:

I have the same question as Janice.

I’ll give it a go!

18. Miz says:

I’m fortunate in that I’ve found chia here in the bulk bins at heathier groceries (from whole foods to locally owned) for almost a decade.

You can usually find at General Nutrition Centers too or order online.

I’d check your regular grocery’s health food aisle first!

ChiaOn ;-)

19. Erica says:

Stillllll have not tried the chia. I KNOW! Crazy. Love the tornado. Her method of taking the chia in rocks :)

20. Lorraine says:

I’ve never heard of eating this before!

You really put it in pancakes? What kind of pancakes?

Thanks Miz.

I still need to find the one I want to buy. I have not seen that jar brand you show - does it have to be ground to work right as I see lots of whole & some ground..

OK on the the videos - LOVE and the Tornado is adorable in both of hers - what a cutie!!!

The pancake & strawberry one sound good - not sure up your gel version. ;-)

22. Miz says:

GREAT QUESTION JODY!

Unlike flax seeds which we, uh ,’pass’ and get no benefit if they’re not ground you can CHOMP the CHIA *whole.*

23. Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb says:

I’m totally new to the idea of chia. Must try it! I appreciate all of the info and recipe ideas. Thanks!

24. Molly says:

Overall I am terrified of the goo stuff :) , but mashed with fruit and in a PB&J I could do this.

Have you ever seen chia at HEB?

25. Kyle @ Getting Better and Better says:

As I posted on your FB wall, I have tried chia for the first time with yogurt, but neglected them this morning since they have not yet been habituated. I’ll get them worked in, though…I know it. Chia chocolate nut-milk as a dessert treat? hmm…

26. Debbie says:

I think you could do chia soaked in chocolate almond milk till goo-like and then flavor to taste, Kyle!

27. Patrick says:

I have not tried Chia, will keep my eye out for it and give it a try; I’ll try just about anything. And goo, that sounds so good how can i not want to give chia a try.

28. Miz says:

I laugh that back in the day (read: first vlog which I think was 2008?) the goo got my gag-reflex going.
    And now? I love. I love.

I weird.
    I weird.

29. Yum Yucky says:

Now that my own healthy eating is on track, I’m trying to slowly transform the greedy kids’ diet. It’s encouraging to see the Tornado all up in this blog post.

30. Heather says:

Chia has been on my list of things to try, and I’ll be picking it up soon. I’ll probably add it to my oatmeal and pancakes. The boys love when I make pancakes and I love finding new healthy things to add to them.

BTW, the Today Show had showcased chia seeds on their foods to eat in 2012. So they got the message!!!

• MizFit says:

and I must have missed their call as Im confident they wanted me to come on, too.
      Or maybe that was just my VISION BOARD :-)

Tomato. Tomaaaaahto.

31. Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers says:

I’ve put chia in oats before, but I’d really like to try chia jelly.

32. Eleanor says:

Ok - jumping on the chia bandwagon!

33. cyn says:

i have heard so much about chia lately & have absolutely no excuse for not trying it by now — on my list of things to do this week!
    as usual your vlogs rock!

34. Sallie says:

These are the vlogs I love.
    Where there’s action and teaching involved!

I’ll try chia although I, too, am nervous the goo will make me gag.

I confess, still never tried it. AND I’m out of flaxseeds (I fed the last to my chickens, had them through the eggs?). Sheesh, how can I call myself a fit blogger? he he

• Miz says:

FOR SHAME Kerri :-)
      And you will love it.
      I wish I could go door to door giving away baggiesful so we could all try w/out getting a biga**container.

POINTS DOWN AT CARA’S COMMENT complete with recipe :-)

36. Cara says:

I recently had to give up dairy, which meant I had one wee little problem: that Greek yogurt I loyally enjoyed every day around 11am? gonzo. Now, I know there are other protein-filled snacks that don’t involve dairy, but I wanted something that would also provide the creamy texture and sweetness I looked forward to. Enter chia protein pudding! I’ve been making mine with almond milk, protein powder, chia and cocoa powder, and topping it off with mixed berries. So glad to have discovered this!

37. Crabby McSlacker says:

Sadly, I’m not a fan. And there are already too many healthy foods I absolutely LOVE to try to cultivate a chiaddiction.

However, I can totally relate to your enthusiasm and excitement about finding some weird (to others) food and discovering all the cool ways you can incorporate it into your life. You should hear what the Lobster has to put up with as I extol the virtues of egg whites, whey powder, kale, squash etc. It’s so cool you found a miracle food you love!

• Miz says:

I hadnt realized until reading your comment how crazy I get with the poor husband too!
      When I love something I think everyone should.
      From books to beef jerky :)

OOPS!

38. Pattie says:

I don’t watch vlogs, but that cocked face in the Tornado’s I had to!
    It was too curious making for me to resist LOL.

I think I may be with Crabby on this one. I will try again someday.

39. Kristin @ STUFT Mama says:

You and your daughter are just too cute! I want to come over and eat some chia (and do some dancing) with you! :) I’ll bring the boys, K? Carla- you’re my hero. :)

40. Cheryl @biasportcom says:

My family is a bunch of Chia Fanatics, even the kids. This post and the videos are great!

41. Cat @Breakfast to Bed says:

in my baked goods, in my oats, in my ovaltine. For the captain? in his oats, in his maple syrup on his waffles, in his spaghetti.

42. Angie (Losing It and Loving It) says:

Love Chia but never knew there was so much you could do with it. I would always just put it in my oatmeal, in smoothies and on my flap jacks, things like that. Can’t wait to try all the new ways to use it.

And yes, I constantly need the floss! LOL

43. Shelley B says:

I STILL haven’t tried the Chia. And I’ve tried most of the “diet” superfoods…I really should give this a go.

44. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

Hi Miz. I’m now officially on the lookout for chia!! I’ll feel like I’m stepping out on my beloved flax, but oh well. :) Have a wonderful Monday.

• MizFit says:

yes ma’am. for a while I snuck around with my chia. dodged the flax and prayed he’d not find out :-)
      NOW? I do em both…
      shhhhh.

45. Geosomin says:

Mmmmm. I do so love chia overnight oats with a bit of fruit or maple syrup or cocoa. One of the best breakfasts out there…tried them last year and I’m hooked.

46. KCLAnderson (Karen) says:

Well, having tried it straight out of the container (and you know I have the video to prove it), I’ve decided to go back to putting it in my oatmeal or other healthy chia delivery systems: yogurt, smoothies, soup…I just thought of something. I think I am going to add them to my turkey meatloaf muffin recipe! Tonight in fact!

47. Lara says:

I’m curious if you had to beg Tornado to try?

I am not sure if my boys would go for that

48. lindsay says:

this is such a great hands on video! Tornado is a chia expert, yes? and both are too cute, chia cute!

49. Nicole says:

I LOVE Chia!

50. Karen@WaistingTime says:

Chia was on the Today Show today! I thought of you:)

51. Fatoutofskinny says:

Love the Chia Seeds. Yes I have to dig them out after eating.
    I think that Dr. Oz has a recipe on his site for chia muffins….I haven’t tried it yet so don’t know what they are like.

52. Gena says:

I still have yet to try the Chia! But, I need to add a source of fiber and protein to my breakfast shakes. I’ve done flax before, but didn’t really like the flavor it gave. If chia doesn’t really taste like anything, maybe it will be a better addition?

53. Carrie with Children says:

Great videos! Loved seeing how you incorporate Chia into your daily routines!

54. Loretta says:

I’m a Chia Girl from way back. In the summer, when I tend to make lots of shakes, I add them in. Like others mentioned, I add them all over the place in cooking, baking, whatever.

In this post, http://lorettasjourney.blogspot.com/2010/05/day-292-cheeseburger-in-bowl-really.htm if you scroll down, I talk about the might chia seed. :-D

55. Brandi Dad says:

Totally awesome.

56. patricia says:

You might check out the website http://www.azchia.com

They have free recipes for milled and whole seed - FREE and great prices for those products.

57. Hal says:

What a great post! I’m really happy I stumbled upon it :)

58. Charlotte says:

I do love chia! Which means I also have a roll of floss in every room of the house and in every car, lol!

59. Kip says:

Chia is not for me right now :)

60. Kristen (The Running Mom) says:

You inspired me to get some chia ASAP after I read this. I ordered it online and when it arrived, I might have had a small spoonful right off the bat because I was so curious about it :) . I tried it atop my lunch salad and I’m going to experiment with some recipes. I’m also looking forward to trying it before a long run this weekend to see if it makes a difference.